Included herein is a unit of lessons about Acoma Pueblo and the Sky City Cultural Center.
This curriculum begins with the video called “Emergence: Sky City Cultural Center” on the home page, then moves through the other sections of the site. Each lesson is designed for middle school students.
Common Core Learning Standard(s) Addressed
- 6.R.I.7 Integration of Knowledge and Ideas: Integrate information presented in different media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively) as well as in words to develop a coherent understanding of a topic or issue.
- 6.W.1.b Text Types and Purposes: Support claim(s) with clear reasons and relevant evidence, using credible sources and demonstrating an understanding of the topic or text
- 6.W.2 Text Types and Purposes: Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content.
- 6.W.7 Research to Build and Present Knowledge: Conduct short research projects to answer a question, drawing on several sources and refocusing the inquiry when appropriate.
- 6.W.9 Research to Build and Present Knowledge: Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
- 6-8.R.ST.2 Key Ideas and Details: Determine the central ideas or conclusions of a text; provide an accurate summary of the text distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
- 6-8.R.H.3 Key Ideas and Details: Identify key steps in a text’s description of a process related to history/social studies (e.g., how a bill becomes law, how interest rates are raised or lowered).
Students will be able to:
- Investigate, discover, and describe the influence of history, geography, and craft/architecture on communities and cultures.
- Investigate, discover, and describe Pueblo culture and architecture.
- Investigate, discover, and describe aspects of sustainable design.
- Investigate, discover, and describe the essential building elements of any New Mexican architecture.
- Locate and map Acoma Pueblo and other pueblos.
- Demonstrate comprehension of economic and cultural sustainability as well as architectural sustainability.
- Answer the questions for each learning module (see Lesson Plans).
- Research and produce a report on any New Mexican Pueblo’s culture, to include: history, geography, cultural information, craft traditions, architecture, and a map of the pueblo’s location in the state of New Mexico.
- Research and produce a report on favorite aspects of sustainable design introduced in this series. Explain how you might use it today in your own community.